The M249, formally referred to as the M249 Squad Automatic Weapon (SAW), is an LMG which was added to R2DA in the 100th update, otherwise known as v1.0.0.
It was as if a hole was in their hearts. Shredding zombies to pieces didn't provide their usual kick. Something about just holding the trigger down to wipe out everything that people saw made people feel good.
Sure, there were options already available. However, neither the M1A1 Thompson or the AK-47 fired quickly or damaging enough to be satisfying. The Skorpion fired too fast for people to even register that it happened. The Minigun was their best option, but it was hard to scavenge the ammo needed to continue the rush.
Through multiple customer focus groups (yes, they still exist), data was compiled that people were looking for something "a step down from the Minigun". As such, the M249 was considered the best fit for this set of complicated criteria.
The M249 was designed to mow down zombies at satisfying speeds, while still using ammo that was cheap and easy to supply, albeit still being deadly.
- This weapon slows you down while it is equipped.
- Fire in short bursts of rounds to conserve ammo. This gun is also decently accurate and long-ranged, so don't be afraid to attack far away enemies.
- You can bring it a step further and try aiming for the head. A simple headshot with this deals 190 damage!
- You can also crouch to improve the accuracy even further.
- Bringing in a reliable secondary can help with the long 5 second reload.
- The CK Swat and Axe can quickly take care of zombies that are closing in.
- The Steyr M is also a good choice to use with its abundant ammo.
- The Rambo Knife and Karambit are nice and light weapons to use to get away from zombies to reload.
- The Baseball Bat, with a Tactical II, can clean the floor of zombies.
- If your secondary isn't enough, stick with a teammate so they can protect you while you're reloading.
- A Tactical II, which provides bonus stamina, can be useful if you need to run away from the battle to reload.
- Unlike the Minigun, the M249 does not need to use the Bandolier to supply extra clips. Normal vests that supply extra clips are fine.
- Like the Minigun, this is a good tool to use against a Brute.
- If Killstreaks matter to you, this weapon can be useful to rack up a combo.
- The M249 is sometimes referred to as the "Squad Automatic Weapon" alone.
- An actual M249 has 100 rounds in its box compared to the 55 you see in-game for balancing issues.
- This is the first Prestige Rank weapon since the days of the former Rank 25 Spas-12.
- With the price of 85,000$, this is currently the most expensive weapon in R2DA.
- This is the first gun to offer animations as Attachments.
- This is the second machine gun to be added to R2DA, with the Minigun being the first.
- However, this is the first light machine gun to ever be added in the R2D series, as the Minigun is a heavy machine gun.