The Brute is a slow but extremely durable zombie which has the ability to devastate survivors at close range, and disrupt, heavily injure, or kill survivors from afar. A smash attack from it can destroy survivors, or cripple the ones still alive. A thrown club from it can instantly kill anyone it hits if they weren't prepared. It can summon a forcefield that blocks out all damage.
Luckily, it can only throw its club so often, and its forcefield move can easily be its downfall. Using it renders the Brute immobile and unable to execute any other actions. Only one can be alive at a time, except in Survival Unlimited and some VIP Servers.
Upon being charged, the Brute receives 400% more health, and its attacks grow even deadlier.
Although it's rare, survivors who run into it face imminent death as they either run or stand and fight a gargantuan threat. The crude club is apparently fashioned by ripping trees out of the ground.
With its extreme power and sickly neon green colour due to mutation, the Brute is something no survivor wants to face. Many survivors fear its existence, knowing one may be the last thing they see.
Throw: Throws the club, dealing 200 damage to any survivor that is directly hit, and dealing mid to high damage to anyone caught in the explosion. The explosion flings nearby survivors as well. Consumes 30 energy.
Block: Emits a forcefield, which prevents damage from being taken while it is in effect. Movement is halted. Consumes 30 energy per second.
- If you encounter one, it is advised to run away while moving in unpredictable directions.
- As the Brute has the ability to throw its club, running in one direction can easily get you directly hit by a thrown club.
- There is no "good" weapon to fight against Brutes with, as it depends on your preference and play-style but it is usually countered by high damage weapons like the Minigun (which can rip right through it), or powerful long range weapons like the Barrett 50 Cal. (as it is weak at long range).
- Though it is not recommended, you can use an Airstrike as the Airstrike's missile blasts can instantly kill a one.
- Kill any Elementals going towards the Brute so you can prevent the round from being tougher than it should be.
- A Brute swimming in the water can be your downfall.
- Be prepared to throw a lot of explosive-type weapons at it, to even attempt to kill it.
- Try to predict where a survivor is running off too, so you can throw your club for an easy kill.
- The throw is affected by gravity, so adjust accordingly.
- If thrown out too far, the club will have an extreme drop-off.
- Be sure to take out survivors using the Minigun, SPAS-12 and Flamethrower first, as their weapons are very effective against your slow movement.
- If you're in a tricky situation, be sure to relocate from the In-Game Store.
- Take note, you can not relocate if you are under attack.
- Try to coordinate attacks with other zombies. You aren't invincible.
- Try to get a good position as fast as possible, expect to be 6 dismembered parts if you have a poor position.
- Upgrade climb is highly recommended as a Brute.
- Your smash explosion does not reach behind you.
- Survivors will be able to dodge the smash if they quickly jump behind you, but you can turn around to counter this.
- Trying to take a seat with this zombie will result in you remaining stuck forever.
- Try to get charged by an Electric Elemental as it transforms you into a Charged Brute. An added bonus is a full recovery from any damage you have taken.
- There is a glitch where if the club is through a wall, you can throw through it without the wall interfering.
- The throwing is NOT in perfect calibration with your cursor. You may need to aim a bit up at closer ranges.
- Swimming in the waters of Panama Beach and Casius Outpost can help you move around quickly, and even block out damage.
- This can help thin out the survivors, as while they're trying to kill you, you can easily throw a club at them.
- Explosive damage can still hurt you though, so time your Block ability carefully.
- This is a recreation of Left 4 Dead's signature zombie used in R2D, the Tank.
- PlaceRebuilder used to personally have a 50% spawn rate as a Brute. This perk has since been removed.
- The Brute's name came from this competition.
- Originally, this zombie was referred to as "Beast" when it was added as the first mob of R2DA.
- The thrown club previously did not make an explosion upon physical contact.
- The Brute is actually based off of a scrapped mob idea for R2D 2014 called the Charged Tank.
- The current icon is an early screenshot of what you can consider as the Brute's "precursor".
- Notice the less detailed muscle textures and saturated tone.
- As of v0.5.8, only one can be alive at a time. Problems were had when this limit was not set in stone.
- The Brute is one of the only zombies that can get multiple kills with only one attack.
- As of v0.8.8, the face decal has been changed.
- Forcing the game to turn you into a Brute used to cost 350$.
- As of v0.7.9, the price has been raised to 600$.
- This is the first mob to be converted to custom meshes.
- This was the first zombie to have multiple abilities, with the second being the Elemental.
- The Brute used to have the ability to jump higher than it does now but used to have only a thousand health.
- Its jump and throw length was nerfed at v0.1.8.
- This mob is the only one that directly synergizes with another mob, being the Electric Elemental.
- The Brute's idle animation bears some resemblance to Skyrim's giant's idle animation.